[INDOLOGY] a woman marrying a calf

Tieken, H.J.H. H.J.H.Tieken at hum.leidenuniv.nl
Wed May 27 14:02:54 UTC 2020

Dear members of this list,

A friend of mine, a sinologist, is working on a story (with versions in Chinese and Japanese), in which a princess marries a calf (young cow). The editor of the Chinese version writes that this is a common theme in South Asian story literature, but my friend has so far been to find any references to it. He checked Cowley's collection of jātaka stories and Laurits Bodker's on Indian animal stories.

I myself am unable to help him either. For one thing, the name of the author of the index on motifs in Indian literature does not occur to me (Thomson?). I hope the motif rings a bell with someone on this list.

With kind regards, Herman

Herman Tieken
Stationsweg 58
2515 BP Den Haag