[INDOLOGY] Orientation of text in sanskrit printed book

Harry Spier vasishtha.spier at gmail.com
Tue May 26 21:37:52 UTC 2020

Dear list members,

Attached is a picture from the on-line guided lessons for Maurer's "The
Sanskrit Language".   It shows a  book with  text  oriented in the book 90
degrees different from the normal orientation in most western books.  I've
seen this orienttion in some small devanagari chanting books.  I'm curious
how common this orientation is, if it is only used for chanting books or if
it is a feature of certain publishers or any other information.

Thanks,
Harry Spier