[INDOLOGY] Book announcement: Translating Wisdom

Shankar Nair shankaranair at gmail.com
Tue May 26 07:17:30 UTC 2020

Dear colleagues,

With apologies for the self-promotion -- but hoping to do right by a
wonderful press that generously poured so many of its own resources into it
-- I am pleased to announce the publication of my book, *Translating
Wisdom: Hindu-Muslim Intellectual Interactions in Early Modern South
Asia* (University
of California Press). I am grateful that UC Press has made the book widely
accessible through a free open-access download (link below), with print
copies also available in paperback.

https://www.ucpress.edu/book.php?isbn=9780520345683

The book description is below. Please feel free to download and share.

With many thanks,

Shankar Nair

Assistant Professor

Department of Religious Studies and

Middle Eastern & South Asian Languages & Cultures

University of Virginia

-----------------

Translating Wisdom: Hindu-Muslim Intellectual Interactions in Early Modern
South Asia

During the height of Muslim power in Mughal South Asia, Hindu and Muslim
scholars worked collaboratively to translate a large body of Hindu Sanskrit
texts into the Persian language. *Translating Wisdom* reconstructs the
intellectual processes and exchanges that underlay these translations.
Using as a case study the 1597 Persian rendition of the
*Laghu-Yoga-Vāsiṣṭha*—an influential Sanskrit philosophical tale whose
popularity stretched across the subcontinent—Shankar Nair illustrates how
these early modern Muslim and Hindu scholars drew upon their respective
religious, philosophical, and literary traditions to forge a common
vocabulary through which to understand one another. These scholars thus
achieved, Nair argues, a nuanced cultural exchange and interreligious and
cross-philosophical dialogue significant not only to South Asia’s past but
also its present.