[INDOLOGY] source(s) of a stanza

Arlo Griffiths arlogriffiths at hotmail.com
Sat May 16 10:35:08 UTC 2020

Dear colleagues,

Can anyone help me identify a Smṛti source for this stanza?

strīṇām avācyadeśasya klinnanāḍīvraṇasya ca |
abhede 'pi manobhedāj janaḥ prāyeṇa vañcyate ||

I have an e-text of Vidyāraṇya's Jīvanmuktiviveka which says:

39. tathā ca smṛtibhir jugupsā varṇitā:
strīṇām avācyadeśasya klinnanāḍīvraṇasya ca |
abhede 'pi manobhedāj janaḥ prāyeṇa vañcyate || [NpU p. 160]

But I don't know which text is intended with "NpU" and anyhow would like to know if the stanza is attested more broadly.

I don't mean any offense in drawing attention to this stanza. I ask only because it happens to be transmitted on Bali in the Sārasamuccaya (stanza 89 in Raghu Vira's edition).

Thanks!

Arlo Griffiths