[INDOLOGY] Sanskrit and the Indian Census

patrick mccartney psdmccartney at gmail.com
Sun May 10 15:01:41 UTC 2020

Dear Friends,

I hope you don't mind the self-promotion, but I would like to share a short
article of mine, published today, in the Wire.

https://thewire.in/culture/india-census-sanskrit

The data is based on 18 months of analysis and provides specific
comparative rationalization of Sanskrit tokens from the 2011 and 2001
census data. Of course, this doesn't prove anyone speaks Sanskrit. It shows
where people, who care enough to identify as a speaker, were at the time of
the census enumeration.

In this regard, I have worked to generate* maps of affect* - down to the
sub-district level - to show in which teshils we find the highest numbers
of people who returned Sanskrit as their L1, L2, or L3.

This article is just a glimpse. I have a few peer reviewed articles coming
out that elaborate in much more detail, where Sanskrit speakers might be.

All the best,

パトリック マッカートニー
Patrick McCartney, PhD
Research Affiliate - Organization for Identity and Cultural Development
(OICD), Kyoto
Research Associate - Nanzan University Anthropological Institute, Nagoya,
Japan
Visiting Fellow - South and South-east Asian Studies Department, Australian
National University
Member - South Asia Research Institute (SARI), Australian National
University

Skype / Zoom - psdmccartney
Phone + Whatsapp + Line:  +61410644259
Twitter - @psdmccartney @yogascapesinjap