[INDOLOGY] Techniques of Blinding

Christophe Vielle christophe.vielle at uclouvain.be
Mon May 4 09:38:05 UTC 2020

Note that (beside the fact that one of the actors of the film, Irrfan Khan, recently died) the blinding with acid is the technique  recommended in AŚ 4,10.13
(Tokunaga's input on GRETIL)
KAZ04.10.13/ śūdrasya brāhmaṇa.vādino deva.dravyam avastṛṇato rāja.dviṣṭam ādiśato dvi.netra.bhedinaś ca yoga.añjanena^andhatvam, aṣṭa.śato vā daṇḍaḥ //

(tr. R. Shamasastry  https://archive.org/details/Arthasastra_English_Translation <https://archive.org/details/Arthasastra_English_Translation> )
When a Sudra calls himself a Brahman, or when any person
steals the property of gods, conspires against the king, or destroys
both the eyes of another, he shall either have his eyes destroyed by
the application of poisonous ointment, or pay a fine of 800 panas.
(Sorry, I have not Olivelle's translation at hand)

bW
Christophe

> Le 3 mai 2020 à 15:26, Matthew Kapstein via INDOLOGY <indology at list.indology.info> a écrit :
>
> Dear Walter,
>
> I don't think that "touching" is the adjective that I would choose to describe the harrowing scene from the film you mention. (The connotation of the word in English is the arousing of positive sympathy.)
>
> But that is not my main reason for responding. The reference to the use of a needle recalled a scene in Orhan Pamuk's novel Red set, not in India, but in Ottoman Turkey. Perhaps the practic e was rather widespread in earlier times.
>
> best,
> Matthew
>
> Matthew Kapstein
> Directeur d'études, émérite
> Ecole Pratique des Hautes Etudes, Paris
>
> Numata Visiting Professor of Buddhist Studies,
> The University of Chicago

Christophe Vielle <https://uclouvain.be/en/directories/christophe.vielle>
Louvain-la-Neuve