[INDOLOGY] Techniques of Blinding

Madhav Deshpande mmdesh at umich.edu
Sun May 3 13:43:31 UTC 2020

Dear Walter,

     In the history of the Maratha period, we have the example of Sambhaji
Raja being blinded by Aurangzeb by inserting hot metal sticks into his
eyes, and later he was killed.  Apparently, this punishment was not
uncommon. Best,

Madhav

Madhav M. Deshpande
Professor Emeritus, Sanskrit and Linguistics
University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Senior Fellow, Oxford Center for Hindu Studies

[Residence: Campbell, California, USA]