[INDOLOGY] Metrical inconsistencies and tradition

Roland Steiner steiner at staff.uni-marburg.de
Mon Mar 30 16:51:12 UTC 2020

Please excuse the silly typo (now corrected).

> there are a few rare occurrences where we can apply the so-called
> *muta cum liquida* rule
> In Sanskrit such an indulgence is rather rare and appears to be more
> frequently applied in Prakrit poetry and "Epic" Sanskrit. In the latter
> case several types of consonant clusters do not cause the preceding
> syllable to be guru.

By the way, Colebrooke already described the phenomenon in 1808:

"By poetical license, a vowel may be short before certain conjuncts
(viz., /pra/ and /hra/; as also /bra/ and /kra/. [/.../]."
(H. T. Colebrooke, "On Sanskrit and Prákrit Poetry", in:
/Miscellaneous Essays/, Vol. 3, London 1873, p. 65)

In his PhD thesis of 1988 Michael Balk noted the same metrical license
for the /Udānavarga/ (especially for the case of /pr/- and /br/-). See
M. Balk: /Untersuchungen zum Udānavarga. Unter Berücksichtigung
mittelindischer Parallelen und eines tibetischen Kommentars/. Marburg
2011 (Indica et Tibetica. 53), pp. 39-42.

With best regards,
Roland Steiner