[INDOLOGY] Retroflexion and gender in viruses

John Lowe john.lowe at orinst.ox.ac.uk
Mon Mar 30 14:12:38 UTC 2020

Thanks a lot - kṣubhnāti is close, though there is also a morphological break of a different sort there, I suppose. And I think there are no other words in that gaṇa where we are dealing with an exception to nati within a word, it is all (except kṣubh-nā) about words that don't have nati when in compound. The gaṇa as a whole appears to be a list of inexplicable exceptions to the general rules, but there is nothing quite like Korona.

I think people adapt borrowings to the constraints of their native phonology. Pāṇini would have been able to pronounce it Korona with dental, but if the rules of Sanskrit do not allow exceptions to nati in monomorphemic stems, and only rarely in morphologically complex stems, Korona would be alien to the natural rules of Sanskrit. But perhaps with such an awful thing it's better to keep it alien!

Are there any examples of post-Pāṇinian borrowings into Sanskrit, preferably unsegmentable nominal stems, where nati was not applied according to the regular rules?

Best wishes,
John