[INDOLOGY] Metrical inconsistencies and tradition

Dominik Haas dominik.haas at univie.ac.at
Mon Mar 30 12:44:22 UTC 2020

Perhaps a short note on the modified “Gāyatrīs” in the
Maitrāyaṇī-Saṃhitā: the creators of these verses simply inserted a
certain deity without too much regard for metre. The non-adjusted
accentuation perhaps also shows that the “Gāyatrīs” in this text are
more pieced together than composed anew (/pracodáyāt/ is still accented,
even though it's now the verb of a main clause – or is there another
explanation?). I wonder whether and where they are actually called
Gāyatrīs?

In any case, I think it's time for an anti-Corona Gāyatrī – unbrushed
and with wrong accents as it should be:

/mā́ savitúr dviṣéṇyaṃ /
/kovidaviṣáṃ dhīmahi/ /
/tát tú devó 'pacodáyāt/ //

‘May we not obtain the malevolent
poison for scholars from Savitṛ.
The god shall rather drive it away!’

Best regards,
D Haas

*Dominik A. Haas, BA MA*
PhD Candidate, University of Vienna
dominik.haas at univie.ac.at <mailto:dominik.haas at univie.ac.at>
ORCID 0000-0002-8505-6112 <https://orcid.org/0000-0002-8505-6112>
<https://univie.academia.edu/DominikHaas>
follow my work on
univie.academia.edu/DominikHaas
<https://www.academia.edu/keypass/ZW5ZRXhKRStPR21EbjZXN2sycGJ3UTJBa3RXRmdzMS8xcUNsZ05BNFM1ST0tLVNHeXJFaks5aVNNTEpRb21BYkVKOFE9PQ==--e24213c0e3c20341d456d6e3cac8b41f86179746/t/QmyD-NHD76Sz-yeiD0/followings/follow?followee_id=8049457&s=following_you_bundled_email>