Re: [INDOLOGY] The seven trees Rāma shot

Martin Straube straubem at staff.uni-marburg.de
Mon Mar 30 10:46:15 UTC 2020

Dear Victor & Asko,

the motif of the Bodhisattva piercing in a contest seven palmyra palms
in one row also occurs in the Sudhanakinnari-jataka. As far as I
remember, the various versions of that story mention taala, not saala.
The Jatakamala of Haribhatta (HJM) even says that those taalas are
"made of iron" (ayomaya, HJM 25.214) which should probably taken cum
grano salis to underline how hard the stems of a plamyra palm are. I
discussed the versions of the Sudhanakinnari-jataka in a book (Prinz
Sudhana und die Kinnari, Marburg, 2006, Indica et Tibetica 46); there
is also an article by Dieter Schlingloff (in English) on that story in
Ajanta where the different textual versions are discussed too
(Indologica Taurinensia 1, 1973; see also D. Schlingloff, Studies in
the Ajanta Paintings, Delhi 1988, chapter 6).

With best wishes
Martin