[INDOLOGY] Nick Allen

Steve Farmer saf at safarmer.com
Tue Mar 24 20:35:45 UTC 2020

Nagaraj Paturi wrote:

> Wanted to know more about this scholar [Nick Allen] so fondly remembered and found this list:
>
> http://users.ox.ac.uk/~njallen/complete_list.htm <http://users.ox.ac.uk/~njallen/complete_list.htm>
>
> And this:
>
> nickallenbibliographypdf-0.pdf

Actually, on the last link: to get to the fullest bibliography of Nick’s works, go first here:

http://users.ox.ac.uk/~njallen/complete_list.htm <http://users.ox.ac.uk/~njallen/complete_list.htm> (early works from 1971-2008)

which is then continued here (works from later 2008 - 2018):

https://www.anthro.ox.ac.uk/files/nickallenbibliographypdf-0 <https://www.anthro.ox.ac.uk/files/nickallenbibliographypdf-0>

Yes, Nick wrote a lot, and nearly right to the end.

Nick was a wonderful friend for the past 18 years or so. Besides his work as a Sanskritist and comparative anthropologist he was a regular participant in the Annual Conferences of the International Association for Comparative Mythology (IACM) — formally founded in 2007 in Edinburgh, but going back three years earlier, to comparative mythology conferences Michael Witzel initiated at Harvard, Kyoto, and Beijing in 2004, 2005, and 2006.

Nick’s work in comparative mythology was most closely associated with his extension of Dumézil’s work in studies of Indo-European epic traditions, which Dumézil and Nick after him argued were all based on earlier proto-Indo-European myths.

Besides being one of Dumézil’s last and most articulate defenders, Nick was a warm and generous human being in every imaginable way. We argued good-naturedly for years about his defense of Dumézil, but it never affected the warmth of our relationship.

I posted a note on Nick's death a bit ago on the Indo-Eurasian Research List (IER), which he contributed to frequently after Michael Witzel and I founded it in December 2004.

Right now, as we are planning the upcoming 14th Conference of the International Association of Comparative Mythology — whose exact dates in part await the final judgment of the SARS-CoV-2 virus -- Nick's presence is deeply missed by everyone on the IACM Board.

Steve Farmer, PhD
The Systems Biology Group
Palo Alto, California