[INDOLOGY] The study of Sanskrit as the epitome of uselessness

Deven Patel deven.m.patel at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 19:20:33 UTC 2020

>From a review of the Broadway play Spamalot in the New York Times in 2006.
I had an amusing email back-and-forth with the critic when I jokingly asked
him if he could've used another metaphor...

"In "Spamalot," of course, the horseplay's the thing. And in a world of
juvenile antics, a gift for Shakespearean tragedy would seem to be about as
useful as a doctorate in Sanskrit."

Deven M. Patel
University of Pennsylvania