[INDOLOGY] 1st century BCE

Olivelle, J P jpo at austin.utexas.edu
Tue Mar 24 17:10:08 UTC 2020

I got a message from a colleague working on environmental geography in Egypt and East Asia about a monsoon failure. He says:

we're looking at a massive monsoon failure with a decadal impact- we clearly see it in Egypt and in East Asia. Our model makes it look like India, or other parts of the Indian Ocean, would have been a total disaster...would love to be able to see what historical/archaeological evidence might tell us.

I wonder whether anyone has information on this, and whether it might event be reflected in cultural remains, including texts.

Thanks.

Patrick