[INDOLOGY] The study of Sanskrit as the epitome of uselessness

Karttunen, Klaus J klaus.karttunen at helsinki.fi
Tue Mar 24 10:22:40 UTC 2020

In 1943 the Finnish author Matti Hälli (1913–1988) published a detective story “Sopimatonta kuolla yliopistolla” (Improper to die at the university). A student is poisoned in a lecture of aesthetics. When the police is wondering, how few were attending the lecture, the Professor defends himself saying that the Professor of Sanskrit has just one single student. At that time there was no Professor of Sanskrit, but the language was taught. In fact, one single student at that time was quite possible. When the first year Sanskrit at Helsinki ended in spring 1972, we were only three (and I was the only one to continue in the next term).

Best,
Klaus