[INDOLOGY] Question

Madhav Deshpande mmdesh at umich.edu
Wed Jun 17 01:53:43 UTC 2020

Thanks, Harry, for this info.  I have been getting somewhat contradictory
information as well.  I was hoping to get a referetnce to a Sanskrit text
or commentary that will explain this in some detail.  But so far, I have
not come upon any such original source.  The statement "La mention du *k**ī*
*laka *est courante à l’époque moderne." is also interesting.  How old are
these notions?  Are they limited to relatively late texts?  I see the *kīlaka
*in the Rāmarakṣāstotra, but there is no *argalā *in it.  So it looks like
there is no invariable connection between *kīlaka *and *argalā.  *I have a
manuscript in my hand that has some preamble to the *Viṣṇusahasranāmastotra*,
that refers to various verses in it as *bīja, śakti, hr̥daya, kīlaka,
astra, kavaca, *and *mantra*.  It does not have *argalā*, and these various
verses assigned these roles are scattered throughout the text of the
*Viṣṇusahasranāma*.  I wonder if it means that while reciting the text of
the *Viṣṇusahasranāma, *these various steps or landmarks happen.  I was
taught the recitation of this stotra, but the recitation does not halt at
these various verses to perform anything specific. There is something
mysterious to me.

Madhav M. Deshpande
Professor Emeritus, Sanskrit and Linguistics
University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Senior Fellow, Oxford Center for Hindu Studies

[Residence: Campbell, California, USA]