[INDOLOGY] Monier-Williams and Spoken Sanskrit

Madhav Deshpande mmdesh at umich.edu
Mon Jun 15 12:42:32 UTC 2020

Dear McComas,

     What a beautiful quote.  Somewhat similar to my first encounter with
American English.  After studying in English for years in Pune, I traveled
to New York on a ship in August 1968, and when my ship docked in the
harbor, the dock workers helped me get my ocean trunks down to the shore.
To my absolute shock, I could not understand a word of what they said to me
and they could not quite follow my Puneri English.  My pride in being able
to communicate in English in Pune was completely shattered, and only the
intervention by a Marathi acquaintance who had come to receive me saved the
day.  Best wishes,

Madhav

Madhav M. Deshpande
Professor Emeritus, Sanskrit and Linguistics
University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Senior Fellow, Oxford Center for Hindu Studies

[Residence: Campbell, California, USA]