[INDOLOGY] Buddhist Beliefs?

Walser, Joseph Joseph.Walser at tufts.edu
Wed Jun 10 14:44:37 UTC 2020

My apologies for cross-posting.

I have been looking for statistical surveys of Buddhist beliefs. So far, apart from general discussions in Spiro, I have only been able to find Todd Lewis' 1996 survey of Buddhist beliefs among Newars. Specifically, I am looking for surveys of any Buddhist population concerning what percentage of them are aware of specific doctrines such as anatman, karma, etc. Given the mountain of literature on Buddhist beliefs, I had expected to find a lot of such surveys. Somehow I must be using the wrong search terms, so any suggestions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Be well,

-j

Joseph Walser
Department of Religion