[INDOLOGY] Strange script

Suresh Kolichala suresh.kolichala at gmail.com
Tue Jul 14 15:11:39 UTC 2020

Is it possibly the Khwarezmian script, used for a now-extinct Eastern
Iranian language that was spoken in the Oxus (Amu Darya) river delta? This
region in Central Asia is known in the Avesta as hvâirizem (Yašt 10.5.14).
It is called خوارزم xvārazm in classical Persian, which is transcribed as
‘Khwarezm’ in English. The Greeks knew it as Χορασμία, and this hellenic
form entered the English lexicon as ‘Chorasmia’. The territory lies across
portions of present-day Uzbekistan, Kazakhstan, and Turkmenistan. The
script probably developed from the Imperial Aramaic used around the Aral
Sea and Oxus river delta. It evolved into a ‘cursive’ script by the 9th
century. Similar to its sister Sogdian, which was used along the Silk Road.

Regards,
Suresh.