[INDOLOGY] Scholarship on Kinnar/Hijra

Nagaraj Paturi nagarajpaturi at gmail.com
Thu Jul 9 12:05:30 UTC 2020

Dear Sri Sravana-ji,

Usage of the word Kinnara in connection with Hijras and other non-binary
gender aspects seems to be new and recent.

Do you or other list members have studies  or references establishing
otherwise, i.e., showing usage of the word Kinnara in connection with
Hijras or related gender aspects ?

On Tue, Jul 7, 2020 at 6:54 AM Sravana Borkataky-Varma via INDOLOGY <
indology at list.indology.info> wrote:

> All,
>
> I am looking for scholarships on the Kinnars/Hijras especially in the
> context of rituals around the womb, menstruation, pregnancy, and fertility
> in general.
>
> Additionally, interviewees have stated that Gorakshanath in one of his
> many births was born as a kinnar. Hence, the Kinnar Akhara owns 50% of Nath
> fortunes. Love some information on this as well.
>
> Thank you.
>
> Best,
> Sravana
> PS: Apologies to members for cross posting.
> ---
> Sravana Borkataky-Varma
> Lecturer, Hindu Traditions
> Harvard University

Nagaraj Paturi

Hyderabad, Telangana, INDIA.

Director,  Inter-Gurukula-University Centre , Indic Academy
BoS, MIT School of Vedic Sciences, Pune, Maharashtra
BoS, Chinmaya Vishwavidyapeeth, Veliyanad, Kerala
BoS Veda Vijnana Gurukula, Bengaluru.
Member, Advisory Council, Veda Vijnana Shodha Samsthanam, Bengaluru
Former Senior Professor of Cultural Studies,
Hyderabad, Telangana, INDIA.