[INDOLOGY] Overseas students and online teaching (US)

Rosane Rocher rrocher at sas.upenn.edu
Tue Jul 7 15:42:11 UTC 2020

Regulation #3affects students at institutions that adopt the hybrid
mode, who are already in the US. I think of one of my neighbors, a
member of the youthful squad who have volunteered to run critical
errands for the elderly who are most at risk in this pandemic among some
1000 residents in our building. She is about to enter into the final
year of the doctoral program of Penn’s Wharton School of Business. Penn
has chosen a hybrid mode of instruction, details of which are being
worked out. Her first priority may have to be finding a course that is
taught in person instead of what is most relevant for her dissertation
and/or her career plans, in this last shot at academic education. I
think also of Penn’s International Student and Scholar Services who may
have to deflect from their role of helping vast numbers of international
students navigate an unfamiliar environment, in order to monitor each
international student’s roster against a list of courses taught in
person and attest that each is in compliance with ICE regulations. Such
a level of detail and of intrusion in educational planning would reek of
bureaucratic harassment. I cannot see how kicking my young friend out of
the country might contribute to mitigating Covid contagion and/or
reinvigorating the American economy. She is not an Indologist, but she
is a living representative of the international flow of scholarship that
this list so demonstrably fosters. I guess I will just get her another
box of blueberries, her comfort food.

Rosane