[INDOLOGY] Overseas students and online teaching (US)

Antonia Ruppel rhododaktylos at gmail.com
Mon Jul 6 22:05:08 UTC 2020

>From what I have seen, I assume this is Trumpian, and related to the
restrictions to H1B visas (which most foreign academics come in on):

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/22/us/politics/trump-h1b-work-visas.html

There was debate at one point that non-commercial organisations such as
universities would be excluded from this ban; but they are now in it, as
far as I know.

A step leading up to those restrictions was that the government got rid of
expedited processing for H1Bs (for a fee, a reply within a period of a few
weeks was guaranteed - which often was the only way to get a foreign
academic into the US in time for them to start their work on time/at the
beginning of the semester).

Not a good time, neither for people nor institutions.

--Antonia

On Mon, 6 Jul 2020 at 23:53, Jeffery Long via INDOLOGY <
indology at list.indology.info> wrote:

> Thank you for alerting us to this, Patricia. Do you have a sense of
> whether this is COVID-19-related, or just more Trumpian BS?
>
> All the best,
> Jeff
>
> Dr. Jeffery D. Long
> Professor of Religion & Asian Studies
> Elizabethtown College
>

> Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone
> <https://overview.mail.yahoo.com/?.src=iOS>
>
> On Monday, July 6, 2020, 5:26 PM, Rosane Rocher via INDOLOGY <
> indology at list.indology.info> wrote:
>
> This is insane.
>
> Rosane Rocher
> On 7/6/20 3:28 PM, Patricia Sauthoff via INDOLOGY wrote:
>
> I wanted to bring this to the attention of anyone teaching in the US this
> autumn.
>
> The US government has made changes to its overseas student visa rules.
> Overseas students may now no longer remain in the US if their universities
> operate entirely online. They either must leave the country or transfer to
> a school with in-person instruction.
> https://www.ice.gov/news/releases/sevp-modifies-temporary-exemptions-nonimmigrant-students-taking-online-courses-during
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Patricia