[INDOLOGY] Sanskrit Renaissances

Oliver Hellwig hellwig7 at gmx.de
Fri Jul 3 19:19:04 UTC 2020

Dear colleagues,

I'm looking for instances of intentional reuse of earlier forms of
Sanskrit by later authors (preferably pre-18th c.), comparable to what
was done with Latin in the various European Renaissances (e.g. the
Carolingian one, or The Renaissance). This means: Has, for instance, the
language of the Mbh or the Ram been used as a gold standard for
composing works in later centuries, and have such Sanskrit texts
actually been composed?
The only phenomena that currently come to my mind are various -duutas
composed after the Meghaduuta (but this is sometimes rather an imitation
of a literary genre, in my opinion); adhering to more Paninian Sanskrit
(not sure how to classify this); or the seemingly intentional use of
Vedic vocabulary in the BhagavataPur.

Any pointers to papers/books published on this topic or Sanskrit works
are highly appreciated.

Best, Oliver

---
Oliver Hellwig, IVS Zürich