[INDOLOGY] Best Tamil learning book

Nagaraj Paturi nagarajpaturi at gmail.com
Tue Jan 28 02:39:01 UTC 2020

A Progressive Grammar of the Tamil Language by A.H. Arden is available for
download at

https://archive.org/details/progressivegramm00ardeiala/mode/2up

On Mon, Jan 27, 2020 at 11:32 PM Robert Zydenbos via INDOLOGY <
indology at list.indology.info> wrote:

> The problem with the Intensive Course in… series of the CIIL is that they
> teach a supposedly 'colloquial' 'spoken' form of the language. I suspect
> that Krishnaprasad wants to read Tamil, and then that book (esp. in view
> of the diglossia that is typical of Tamil) will be only of limited use.
>
> Somewhat drily written, but correct and still very useful, is the old A
> Progressive Grammar of the Tamil Language by A.H. Arden (Madras:
> Christian Literature Society, 1910, with many reprints). That is the book
> from which I learnt Tamil. And when you already know Kannada (that's a note
> for you, KP), then that book is the fast way.
>
> RZ
>

> Nagaraj Paturi via INDOLOGY wrote on 27.01.20 04:43:
>

> https://www.scribd.com/doc/233254886/An-Intensive-Course-in-Tamil-Dialogues-Drills-Exercises-Vocabulary-Grammar-And-Word-Index-Central-Institute-of-Indian-Languages-1979-CIIL-In
>

> On Mon, Jan 27, 2020 at 8:57 AM Krishnaprasad G via INDOLOGY <
> indology at list.indology.info> wrote:
>
>> Dear all
>>
>> Which is the best book to learn Tamil from the scratch. Your help is much
>> appreciated.
>>
>> Thank you.
>> KP
>>

> --
> Prof. Dr. Robert J. Zydenbos
> Institute of Indology and Tibetology
> Department of Asian Studies
> Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München (University of Munich – LMU)
> Germany

Nagaraj Paturi

Hyderabad, Telangana, INDIA.

Director,  Inter-Gurukula-University Centre , Indic Academy
BoS, MIT School of Vedic Sciences, Pune, Maharashtra
BoS, Chinmaya Vishwavidyapeeth, Veliyanad, Kerala
BoS Veda Vijnana Gurukula, Bengaluru.
Member, Advisory Council, Veda Vijnana Shodha Samsthanam, Bengaluru
Former Senior Professor of Cultural Studies,
Hyderabad, Telangana, INDIA.