Re: [INDOLOGY] Vajrasūcī

Hartmut Buescher buescherhartmut at gmail.com
Tue Jan 28 01:41:56 UTC 2020

Dear colleagues,

allow me to qualify my previous remark about “having not yet met with

the notion of an *ākāśagāmin* in the various Buddhist philosophical
contexts

elaborating their notions of *mārga *… “ – in a beautifully suggestive
manner,

Prof. Schlingloff rightly pointed out to me, being habitually forgetful,
that

I may in fact be very well aware of a specific context in which various

supernatural accomplishments, including that of “moving through space”,

are regularly thematized.

Indeed, it is difficult for Buddhologists not to be aware of the *bodhipakkhiyā
*

*dhammā* and, as usual, Buddhaghoṣa is most entertaining when dealing with
the

*iddhipāda*s in *Visuddhimagga*, ch. 12. Often, he refers back to the
*iddhikathā*

chapter of the *Paṭisambhidāmagga*, whereas my favourite concise overview

(with rather exhaustive references to canonical sources) still is Gethin’s

treatment of these *iddhipāda*s in his *The Buddhist Path to Awakening*.

For references to corresponding Sanskrit sources treating the *ṛddhipāda*s,

one may still be benefitted by consulting Har Dayal’s old *Bodhisattva
Doctrine*,

pp. 104ff. and, of course, Lamotte’s *Traité* III: 1124f.

Still, just as the notion of a *yogin* may be endowed with very different

connotations, depending on the textual and traditional context one looks
at,

the accomplishments of the *ākāśagāmin *referred to by *siddhācārya*
Aśvaghoṣa

may perhaps include, or overlap with, the success of those who practice

the *iddhipāda*s/*ṛddhipāda*s, yet essentially differ (in terms of
practical details

and ultimate achievement) from the latter, just as a tantric context does
crucially

differ from a non-tantric one. Thus, though the horizon of what the
metaphor of

‘moving through/within space’ may entail is getting expanded, unfortunately

this does not immediately heighten the precision of determining *Vajrasūcī*’s

authorship.

Hartmut Buescher

.