[INDOLOGY] Texts about translators and translation?

naresh keerthi nakeerthi at gmail.com
Sun Jan 5 17:35:12 UTC 2020

Dear Prof Nataliya Yanchevskaya,

*A propos* your recent mail on texts on translation in Sanskrit, here is
some information that may be relevant.

The term ‘*anuv**ā**da*’ currently used in the Indian languages for
translation, had a wider remit in  śāstra jargon, and was use for scholarly
paraphrase or citation, and the denotation of translation for  ‘*anuv**ā*
*da*’ is a semantic extension of this idea of paraphrase. Prof Radhavallabh
Tripathi [currently at the Bhandarkar Institute, Pune]has recently written
a treatise on the expanded notion of ‘anuvāda’ covering paraphrase,
citation as well as translation. His book is in the sutra-bhāśya style,
with an auto-commentary, as well as auxiliary ‘parikara-śloka-s’. I had
occasion to see a partial draft of the book. You may contact Prof Tripathi
if his book is of interest. Drop me a personal mail if you need his contact
details.

I noticed that other members of the list had pointed out a few papers that
reflect upon translation *from* Sanskrit. I add some more to that list.

Damrosch, D., 2008. What could a message mean to a cloud? Kalidasa travels
West. *Translation Studies*, *1*(1), pp.41-54.

Gopinathan, G., 2000. Ancient Indian theories of translation. *Beyond the
Western tradition*, pp.165-173.

Nelson, B., 2011. Beyond free and literal: Translating a Buddhist text
(Bodhicaryavatarapanjika) from Sanskrit. *Journal of the Oriental Society
of Australia, The*, *43*, p.83.

O'Flaherty, W.D., 1971. A New Approach to Sanskrit Translation. *Mahfil*,
*7*(3/4), pp.129-141.

Ramanujan, A.K., 1991. Three hundred Ramayanas: Five examples and three
thoughts on translation. *Many Ramayanas: The diversity of a narrative
tradition in South Asia*, pp.22-49.

Best,

Naresh Keerthi

Hebrew University, Jerusalem