[INDOLOGY] Deshpande Genealogy

Allen Thrasher alanus1216 at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 3 15:09:52 UTC 2020

Madhav,
Does the switch from -Bhatta to -Panta represent the bestowal of some sort of title or mark of distinction?
Allen

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone

On Sunday, February 2, 2020, 10:03 PM, Madhav Deshpande via INDOLOGY <indology at list.indology.info> wrote:

In an old letter of my father, he lists our genealogy from the 16th or 17th century. Here are some interesting details:Our known genealogy from 16th or 17th century:
Lukambhatta>Avajipanta>Vitthalapanta>Balajipanta>Gobajipanta>Abajipanta>Balajipanta>Sakopanta>Appajipanta>Sakopanta>Krishnapanta>Sakharampanta [wife: Bakula]>Ramchandrapanta [wife: Janaki]>Vasudevpanta [wife: Lakshmi]>Murlidhar Panta [wife: Mandakini]>Madhav [wife: Shubhangi]
My father had recovered this long genealogy from some old land ownership documents.  The land was originally granted to Lukambhatta [probably in the 16th of 17th century] and was handed down to the eldest son till my great-grand-father, and then it was sold.  There is a funny story told about Lukambhatta.  He was a Jyotishi "astrologer" at the court of some local ruler and it was his job to tell the king what Tithi it was on a given day.  One day he made a mistake and told the ruler that it was a full moon night (Paurnima), when actually it was a no moon night (Amavasya).  That obviously created a big problem.  But Lukambhatta told the king that he was such an ardent devotee of some divinity that the king will indeed see the moon in the sky that night.  Evidently the king saw the moon on an Amavasya night, and was pleased with Lukambhatta and granted him the land that came all the way down to my great-grand-father.  A magical story indeed.
My Sanskrit version of this genealogy:
भारद्वाजस्य गोत्रे मे देशपाण्डेकुलोद्भव: ।तत्रादिपुरुषोऽस्माकं लुकम्भट्ट इति श्र्रुत: ।।ज्येष्ठस्तस्य सुतो ज्ञात आवजीपन्तनामक: ।तस्य विठ्ठलनामाभूत् तनयो वंशवर्धन: ।।बालाजिस्तस्य तनयो गोबाजिस्तस्य वै सुत: ।आबाजिस्तस्य तनयो बालाजिस्तस्य वै सुत: ।।तस्य पुत्र: सकोपन्तस्तस्याप्पाजि: सुतोऽभवत् ।तस्य पुत्र: सकोपन्तस्तस्य कृष्णोऽभवत्सुत: ।।तत्सुतोऽभूत्सखारामो बकुला तत्सधर्मिणी ।रामचन्द्रस्तयो: पुत्रो मदीय: प्रपितामह: ।।रामचन्द्रस्य भार्याभूज्जानकी धर्मचारिणी ।वासुदेवस्तयो:पुत्र: स आसीन्मे पितामह: ।।लक्ष्मीस्तस्याभवद्भार्या तत्सुतो मुरलीधर: ।माधवस्तत्तनूजोऽहं माता मन्दाकिनी मम ।।
Madhav M. DeshpandeProfessor Emeritus, Sanskrit and LinguisticsUniversity of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USASenior Fellow, Oxford Center for Hindu Studies

[Residence: Campbell, California, USA]