[INDOLOGY] Idenfication of Sanskrit metres

Tyler Neill tyler.g.neill at gmail.com
Mon Dec 21 19:49:51 UTC 2020

I've been working on this task the last few years, too, so I'd like to
confirm the mention of the two working tools already mentioned — see
table "Related
Sanskrit Transliteration and Scansion Projects
<https://github.com/tylergneill/skrutable/blob/master/manual.md#related-sanskrit-transliteration-and-scansion-projects>"
— and also toot my own horn a bit.

My own tool "skrutable" I made so as to be able to do large
tasks programmatically. For example, I just now had it analyze the meter of
the Rāmāyaṇa, and it gives a full plain-text report, marking various meters
and anuṣṭubh vipulās and so on, in about 20 minutes (about 15 verses per
second). I've tried, but I haven't yet been able to do such things with
other tools. If anyone has such experience, please let me know, I'd love to
compare.

There are still a few edge-cases I need to address, and user-friendliness
also needs a good bit of work. For example, the point-and-click interface
is hard to get working on new machines. I plan on making a holiday project
out of it, and I'll aim to send another general update after that. If
anyone's especially interested, please be in touch.

Best wishes
Tyler