[INDOLOGY] Appropriate meaning of the word"Vigyan"

David and Nancy Reigle dnreigle at gmail.com
Fri Dec 11 20:10:38 UTC 2020

Dear Alakendu Das,

First, may I suggest that you use the International Alphabet of Sanskrit
Transliteration for writing Sanskrit words? This is what Indologists are
accustomed to. Thus, your vigyan would be written as vijñāna.

As you noted in your query of Nov. 13, the meaning of vijñāna in Buddhist
texts somewhat differs from its meaning in Hindu texts. In both cases, the
meaning of vijñāna comes out in juxtaposition with jñāna. An article on
this by Franklin Edgerton was published in 1933, "Jñāna  and vijñāna,"
drawing on Hindu texts. I have scanned my photocopy of it and attached a
PDF of the scan.

Best regards,

David Reigle
Colorado, U.S.A.