[INDOLOGY] "Psychological complexity" of Sanskrit language/literature

Nagaraj Paturi nagarajpaturi at gmail.com
Fri Aug 28 04:34:24 UTC 2020

Yes, Prof. Watson. There is a difference, of course.

My focus was on the Sanskrit term and the possibility of that being in the
path of sources of the English term.

ātmasākṣātkāra and ātmībhāva can be synonymous for Advaitins as you noted.

But for others , the two can be different.

Self as the 'Who am I ?' concept , can be an identity issue and we can take
self as the common axis for comparing and connecting the Sociological Self,
, the Psychological Self and the Spiritual Self, Aatman.

In fact, the discussions on Dehaatma braanti etc. are based on the
recognition that there are other answers than the spiritual Aatman to the
human enquiry of Who am I . All non-spiritual answers turn out to be
bhraanti relative to the ultimate validity of the spiritual answer of
Aatman . But they are valid in their own reference frames.

On Wed, Aug 26, 2020 at 10:36 PM Alex Watson via INDOLOGY <
indology at list.indology.info> wrote:

> [...]

Nagaraj Paturi

Hyderabad, Telangana, INDIA.

Director,  Inter-Gurukula-University Centre , Indic Academy
BoS, MIT School of Vedic Sciences, Pune, Maharashtra
BoS, Chinmaya Vishwavidyapeeth, Veliyanad, Kerala
BoS Veda Vijnana Gurukula, Bengaluru.
Member, Advisory Council, Veda Vijnana Shodha Samsthanam, Bengaluru
Former Senior Professor of Cultural Studies,
Hyderabad, Telangana, INDIA.