[INDOLOGY] Question

Madhav Deshpande mmdesh at umich.edu
Wed Aug 12 19:24:11 UTC 2020

I am puzzled by a curious feature of Sanskrit versification, syntax and
sandhis.  While sandhis are supposed to take place between pādas 1 and 2,
and between 3 and 4, the enclitic forms such as ते and मे, as they come
under the Pāṇinian restriction of अपादादौ cannot occur at the beginning of
any pādas.  I am looking for any serious discussion or research on these
features, and whether forms like ते and मे do occur at the beginning of
pādas 2 and 4 in known Vedic or post-Vedic literature.  I will appreciate
any help you can provide.  With best wishes,

Madhav M. Deshpande
Professor Emeritus, Sanskrit and Linguistics
University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Senior Fellow, Oxford Center for Hindu Studies

[Residence: Campbell, California, USA]