[INDOLOGY] Devanāgarī

victor davella vbd203 at googlemail.com
Tue Aug 11 10:38:33 UTC 2020

Dear all,

I would like to know if there is more recent research on the origin of the
term (Deva)nāgarī, i.e., when is it first attested, can we correlate its
attestation to a specific script, etc. I am aware of the usual reference
works on Indian epigraphy/paleography (Bühler, Sircar, Salomon, Falk,
etc.), as well as some more recent scholarship that documents the use of a
specific script (Nandināgara) for copying a manuscript in puranic sources
(De Simini 2016, 110ff.). It seems that we perhaps don't know as many
details as we would like, but I thought I would ask a wider audience.
Thanks!

All the Best,
Victor