[INDOLOGY] ratta-māla

Rolf Heinrich Koch rolfheiner.koch at gmail.com
Wed Apr 29 15:17:17 UTC 2020

Dear listmembers,

anyone of you came probably across a description of someone  who is
adorned with a /rattamāla/ "a red garland of flowers"
And: Where, at which part of the body, he wears this garland?
I found two quotations in Jātakas: Here in each case it is a executioner
(/vadhaka/, /coraghātaka/) who is adorned with a /rattamāla/.
The artists of the last centuries painted the executioner with a garland
hanging around his neck or even across his upper body.
But there is another quotation, in the Vessantara-Jātaka, where the
Brahmin Jūjaka is adorned ... /dvīsu kaṇṇesu ratta-mālā/ ...= with a
garland of flowers bound at each of his two ears.

I think a /rattamāla /original adorned the ears. But I need textual