[INDOLOGY] Grammatical question

Madhav Deshpande mmdesh at umich.edu
Tue Apr 21 14:04:59 UTC 2020

Dear Victor,

     Your reference to "the word saṃskartā can be pronounced 108 different
ways according to (some) grammarians. See Bhaṭṭojī Dīkṣita ad P. 8.3.34 (SK
138)" reminded me of my early days of reading Panini, and the dread that I
felt as a student about having to explain these 108 variations in an exam.
There is a comic verse about the other example of सुधी+उपास्य: where
numerous alternative forms are produced by using all possible options of
reduplication.  I don't fully remember it but the verse goes something like
हता: केचित् ..हता: परे .. सुद्ध्युपास्ये हता: सर्वे.  It just tells you
about how many students drop dead by the dread of these examples. Perhaps
Ashok Aklujkar or Saroja Bhate will recall the verse.

Madhav

Madhav M. Deshpande
Professor Emeritus, Sanskrit and Linguistics
University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Senior Fellow, Oxford Center for Hindu Studies

[Residence: Campbell, California, USA]