[INDOLOGY] Antw: Re: Grammatical question

Raik Strunz raik.strunz at indologie.uni-halle.de
Tue Apr 21 08:43:57 UTC 2020

Dear List members,

regarding rendition of saṃskr̥ta- to sanskr̥ta-, to my knowledge this
is not considered to be accepted in the higher register, or is it
described as such anywhere? This might simply be a result of
contamination from the vernacular, lower register, into the higher one,
due to classic phonotactical assimilation during the natural
articulation process, so “the nasal is put in the same phonetic
category”, as George said.

On the contrary, renditions of saṃskr̥ta- (where anusvāra – as usual
behaving rather like a simple nasal placeholder – inevitably is prone to
assimilation) or sam̐skr̥ta- might rather just be allophones (and
consequently allographs) in differently standardized languages and/or
dialects.

And samskr̥ta-, afaik, would be an outrageous violation of articulatory
norms and practice in the higher registers of Vedic Sanskrit as well as
Epic-Classical Sanskrit.

I guess, the same holds true for siṃha- to simha- (?!), where the
assimilation of anusvāra to the velar nasal seems to be common.

Best,

Raik Strunz

–––––––––––

Raik Strunz, M.A.

Wissenschaftlicher Mitarbeiter
Email: raik.strunz at indologie.uni-halle.de
Tel.: +49 345 / 55 23655

Martin-Luther-Universität Halle-Wittenberg
Institut für Altertumswissenschaften
Seminar für Indologie
Emil-Abderhalden-Straße 9
D-06108 Halle (Saale)

www.indologie.uni-halle.de

–––––––––––

सर॑स्वत्यै॒ स्वाहा॑ ॥

>>> Dominik Haas via INDOLOGY <indology at list.indology.info> 21.04.20
9.56 Uhr >>>

     Given that it originally was an m, my own practical solution to
  pronouncing the anusvāra ṃ is to simply speak an m, but       without
letting the lips touch each other. This can be practised       by
putting two fingers between them – stopping before the teeth,       of
course – and then trying to say "saṃyoga" or "saṃsāra."       You can
think of the dot in ṃ as the finger in this case,       but in my
experience, two fingers are needed.

     Now this is only one way to pronounce it, but it's simple and
working (tested with students also). Most importantly, it prevents
one from speaking an actual m in words like "saṃskṛta." I
personally have the feeling that Pāṇini would have approved of it,
but of course I do not have proof for this!

            D Haas

       Dominik A. Haas, BA MA
       PhD Candidate, University of Vienna

                dominik.haas at univie.ac.at