[INDOLOGY] sanskrit and computers?

Jean-Luc Chevillard jean-luc.chevillard at univ-paris-diderot.fr
Fri Apr 17 16:01:09 UTC 2020

Dear Patrick,

I suspect that answering your question is a tall order.

(A) On the one hand, you would need feedback from people who have
FIRST-HAND experience in the writing of grammars at the time of the 1st
millenium BC

(B) On the other hand, you would need feedback from people who have
FIRST-HAND experience in the writing of compilers in the 1960-s

And these people would have to be in direct contact, or IDEALLY, to be
the same people.
;-)

Regarding point (B), the pointer given by Dominik this morning, as a
followup to Harry Spier's reminder, was the starting point of a chain
continued for instance by
https://dl.acm.org/doi/10.1145/355588.365140
which I remember reading, when going through D.E.Knuth's collection of
articles, and also when trying, in recent years, to imagine how it was
to use a computer, at the heroic time when people were inventing
languages like "ALGOL 60" and were trying to write compilers for them,
which was not easy ....

Regarding point (A), the requirement brought to my mind the "déclic" I
had felt when I read, long ago, the expression "le regard critique d'un
rédacteur de grammaire" inside the following sentence, written by my
EPHE colleague Georges-Jean Pinault, on p.338, inside a section of his
contribution to the collective volume /Histoire des Idées Linguistiques,
Tome 1/ [Sylvain Auroux (ed.), Mardaga (pub.), 1989 (ISBN 2-87009-389-6)]

« Parmi les premiers commentateurs, seul Kātyāyana pose des questions
sur l'organisation générale de l'/Aṣṭādhyāyī/, qu'il considère avec le
regard critique d'un rédacteur de grammaire »

Therefore, I would like to suggest to you to try YOURSELF your hand on
those two types of tasks (the writing of compilers and the writing of
grammars) if you want to get an insider's EMPATHIC view of the reason
which led someone to write that it was not enough to replace "Backus
Normal Form" by "Backus Naur Form" as the oralized form of BNF (as Knuth
had successfully suggested) but that one should go one step further and
introduce the name of Pāṇini ...
:-)

Good luck

அன்புடன்