[INDOLOGY] sanskrit and computers?

Harry Spier vasishtha.spier at gmail.com
Tue Apr 14 00:12:26 UTC 2020

A core feature of Backus-Naur Form notation is it can be  recursive.
To give the simple example of  the definition of an integer  in Backus-Naur
Form :
<digit> ::= 0 | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9

Note the definition of <integer> is used in its own definition to
"recursively" build up the definition of any string of digits as an
<integer>
Does Panini's grammar ever use this kind of recursion in its definitions?

Thanks,
Harry Spier