[INDOLOGY] sanskrit and computers?

Dominik Wujastyk wujastyk at gmail.com
Mon Apr 13 22:31:46 UTC 2020

Backus-Naur notation is often cited as a re-discovery of Pāṇini's
notational methods, not entirely without justification. This 1967 letter in
CACM by Ingerman started this particular hare:
https://dl.acm.org/doi/10.1145/363162.363165.  Ingerman's assertion rests
on a simplified view of how Pāṇini's grammar works, ignoring many features
such as rule-ordering, blocking, and scoping.  Nevertheless, the general
idea of BNF-style rewriting rules is there.

Best,
Dominik

--
Professor Dominik Wujastyk
<https://www.ualberta.ca/arts/about/people-collection/dominik-wujastyk>

Singhmar Chair in Classical Indian Society and Polity
,

Department of History and Classics <http://historyandclassics.ualberta.ca/>
,
University of Alberta, Canada