Re: [INDOLOGY] Gāyatrī and Scifi

Jonathan Silk kauzeya at gmail.com
Sun Apr 5 20:16:08 UTC 2020

Ted Chiang published a collection which has other absolutely amazing
stories: *Stories of Your Life and Others*
Much recommended!

jonathan

On Sun, Apr 5, 2020 at 10:13 PM Jeffery Long via INDOLOGY <
indology at list.indology.info> wrote:

> Wonderful examples, Robert!
>
> “Arrival” is based on a 1998 short story by Ted Chiang called “Story of
> Your Life.”  It’s available in Brian Aldiss, ed. ‘A Science Fiction
> Omnibus’ (Penguin Classics, 2007), which includes a wide array of excellent
> stories by masters in the field. “Sole Solution,” by Eric Frank Russell,
> comes close to articulating an Advaitic conception of the nature of
> existence.
>
> With warmest regards,
> Jeff
>
> Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone
> <https://overview.mail.yahoo.com/?.src=iOS>
>
> On Sunday, April 5, 2020, 2:55 PM, Robert Goldman <rpg at berkeley.edu>
> wrote:
>
> There is, of course Roger Zelazny’s 1967 Scifi novel, *Lord of Light *and,
> perhaps tangentially, there is the 2016 sci-fi film “Arrival”in which  the
> actress Amy Adams plays an expert linguist and translator, Louise, who,
> because of her earlier assistance to the military with a translation from
> Farsi, is recruited by an army colonel to decipher the language of some
> extra-terrestrial visitors. When asked about other experts who might help,
> she says of a colleague at Berkeley, “Ask him the Sanskrit word for ‘war,’
> and its translation.” When the colonel reappears, he says the other
> linguist said “gavisti” means “an argument,” whereas Louise translates the
> same word as “a desire for more cows.”
>
> Bes to all. Be safe Stay well.
>
> Dr. R. P.  Goldman
> Catherine and William L. Magistretti Distinguished Professor in South
> and Southeast Asian Studies
> Department of South and Southeast Asian Studies MC # 2540
> The University of California at Berkeley
> Berkeley, CA 94720-2540
> Tel: 510-642-4089
> Fax: 510-642-2409
>
> On Apr 5, 2020, at 11:02 AM, Jeffery Long via INDOLOGY <
> indology at list.indology.info> wrote:
>
> Dear Antonia,
>
> Yes, I think you are correct.  The Gāyatrī mantra and other features of
> the show are no doubt meant to create an "atmosphere" as much as anything,
> and to build up to the idea that several ancient cultures of earth could
> plausibly have been descended from the culture of the humans who fled the
> Cylons.  (I think I just dropped a huge spoiler!  But the show is
> absolutely worth viewing to see how all of its various themes and character
> arcs play out.)  And yes, it is definitely significant that Glen A. Larson,
> the creator of the original series, was Mormon, and consciously included
> aspects of Mormon thought in it.  (The important planet Kobol, for example,
> is a clear anagram for the planet Kolob described in a Mormon text called
> the Book of Abraham.)  The re-envisioned *Galactica* series is much less
> tied to Mormonism than Larson's original, but certainly contains nods to it.
>
> As I argue in my piece on Hinduism and *Star Wars*, the creators of most
> [...]

J. Silk
Leiden University
Leiden University Institute for Area Studies, LIAS
Matthias de Vrieshof 3, Room 0.05b
2311 BZ Leiden
The Netherlands

copies of my publications may be found at
https://leidenuniv.academia.edu/JASilk