[INDOLOGY] Highlights from the Sanskrit corpora

Dominik Wujastyk wujastyk at gmail.com
Mon Sep 30 23:13:57 UTC 2019

On Sun, 29 Sep 2019 at 07:40, Martin Gluckman via INDOLOGY <
indology at list.indology.info> wrote:

> Two further submissions received to add to the list (thank you to all who
> have responded):
>
> 1.Mahabharata for its general and omnipresent influence on all kinds of
> cultural and literary creativity.

Note that the Mahābhārata text of the critical Pune edition is (C) BORI and
is not meant to be distributed or hosted on other websites.  It is made
exclusively available from John Smith's Bombay website
<http://bombay.indology.info/mahabharata/statement.html>.  As the accompanying
documentation <http://bombay.indology.info/mahabharata/text/UD/MBh00.txt>
says,

The electronic text of the Mahabharata is Copyright (C) The Bhandarkar
Oriental Research Institute (BORI), Pune. This authorised and regularly
updated text is available only via the web
pagehttp://bombay.indology.info/mahabharata/statement.html. Please do
not provide
copies of the text to others.

In other words, help yourself, but only from that Bombay website.

This is why the Puna Mbh has never been offered through SARIT.  The
text at SARIT <http://sarit.indology.info/mahabharata-devanagari.xml?view=div>
is the 1906-1910 edition from Nirnayasagara Press,
Bombay, "A New Edition Mainly Based on the South Indian Texts, with
Footnotes and Readings."

I'm fully aware that the Pune Mbh has long ago escaped into the wild
and is offered everywhere.  I think that's a wonderful thing for
scholarship (though bad for version control).  But it does not reflect
the wishes of BORI.  I'm just sayin'

Best,

Dominik