[INDOLOGY] Query on verse forms

Jean-Luc Chevillard jean-luc.chevillard at univ-paris-diderot.fr
Thu Sep 19 08:08:52 UTC 2019

Cher Matthew,

For the record, you might be interested to know that, among the 30
cantos of the சிலப்பதிகாரம்

21 are called kātai (காதை)
4 are called vari (வரி)
2 are called kuravai (குரவை)
2 are called mālai (மாலை)
1 is called pāṭal (பாடல்)

On page 864 of the Madras Tamil Lexicon, you can read the following

காதை² (p. 864) kātai காதை² kātai , n. < gāthā. 1. Poem; பாட்டு. (நீல.)
2. Division of a poem containing a narrative; கதையைக்கொண்ட பகுதி.
(சிலப். பதி. 63, உரை.)

In a similar manner,
the 30 cantos of the Maṇimēkalai (மணிமேகலை) are all called kātai (காதை)

I hope this is useful

Meilleurs voeux

-- Jean-Luc

https://twitter.com/JLC1956