[INDOLOGY] question on the use of the grammatical category of aspect in classical Tamil studies

Tieken, H.J.H. H.J.H.Tieken at hum.leidenuniv.nl
Thu Sep 12 17:11:45 UTC 2019

Dear Manu
Thank you very much for the information. Aspect has thus entered classical Tamil studies only last year. What I have seen of it, the book does not offer a full-fledged explanation of the category of aspect in Caṅkam Tamil texts. Aspect is just called in here and there. I wonder what use it has for a proper understanding of the texts. On p. 156 a line from Kuṟuntokai 275 is quoted: kaṇṭaṉam varukañ ceṉmō tōḻi, in which kaṇṭaṉam would have an "aspectual impact". What is that? (but one again, I am not a linguist pur sang). The woman speaking in this poem says to her companion "you go, we, being persons who have seen, will come back", that is, "you go, (don't be afraid, we are not running away) we will come back after we have seen/have found out if the bell we hear is the bell of a cow coming back from the fields or the one from the chariot of my husband/lover returning from the battle field".
With the best wishes, Herman

Herman Tieken
Stationsweg 58
2515 BP Den Haag