[INDOLOGY] Eye-copy of an inscription in Paris BnF

Manu Francis manufrancis at gmail.com
Thu Oct 31 18:45:28 UTC 2019

Dear colleagues,

In the framework of the TST project (https://tst.hypotheses.org/) I have
started to examine rubbings and eye-copies of inscriptions kept at the BnF
in Paris.

Among these is the item “Indien 720”, for which we have the following

It appears to be a scale eye-copy of a Sanskrit inscription (which would be
in very big letters if it is indeed a scale reproduction, as the sheet is 200
x 95 mm).

>From the annotation on the sheet I gather that the inscription was
discovered in 1817 by a certain Franklin Lewis Cole (if I read correctly)
and the eye-copy made later, as the sheet is made with several sheets
having the watermark “B&T SWEETAPPLE 1829”. And there is a label “R.B. N°
52 1833” which refers to a collection (maybe Regis Bibliotheca, that is the
BnF name, I suppose, during the “Monarchie de Juillet”).

Here are some pictures:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/75llbwcb8g4o39g/AADBNZwm_P0Z4XzfREHlqrvTa?dl=0

Could any knowledgeable people among you enlighten me about this
inscription?

Especially concerning the placenames mentioned, Franklin Lewis Cole, and
any reference to a publication.

With a great many thanks in advance for any clue.

With very best wishes.
Emmanuel FRANCIS <http://ceias.ehess.fr/index.php?1725>
Chargé de recherche CNRS, Centre d'études de l'Inde et de l'Asie du Sud
<http://ceias.ehess.fr/> (UMR 8564, EHESS-CNRS, Paris)
Online CV HAL <https://cv.archives-ouvertes.fr/emmanuel-francis>
Regionalism & Cosmopolitism: South India <http://rcsi.hypotheses.org/>
Associate member, Centre for the Study of Manuscript Culture
<http://www.manuscript-cultures.uni-hamburg.de/index_e.html> (SFB 950,
Universität Hamburg)