Re: [INDOLOGY] Sanskrit drama in La Belle Époque

Rocher, Rosane D rrocher at sas.upenn.edu
Sat Oct 26 13:32:55 UTC 2019

Lovely!  Thank you.

Rosane

On 10/26/19 8:38 AM, Matthew Kapstein via INDOLOGY wrote:
Dear Indologists,

You may find this to be amusing.

Visiting the huge exhibition of the works of Toulouse-Lautrec currently on view at the Grand Palais in Paris, I was surprised to find, amidst his many posters for theater and cabaret, the one I include here, for a production of the
Mṛcchakaṭikā, - the title is even given in devanagari at lower right. If you read carefully, you'll see that TL himself is credited with the sets for the fifth act, though I do not know if any trace of these survives, or if it was photographed. They must have been wonderful!

[cid:part1.358F6930.EA011018 at sas.upenn.edu]

Matthew Kapstein
Directeur d'études,
Ecole Pratique des Hautes Etudes

Numata Visiting Professor of Buddhist Studies,
The University of Chicago