[INDOLOGY] (no subject)

Will Sweetman will.sweetman at gmail.com
Tue Oct 22 22:22:46 UTC 2019

Dear Alf

My 2003 book is available for download on Cross-Asia (with many others)
http://crossasia-books.ub.uni-heidelberg.de/xasia/catalog/series/nhb

The book covers missionary readings of Hinduism in the period ending
with the establishment of the Asiatic Society of Bengal and the
appearance of other works by EIC scholar-administrators. On Ward and
others in his period Geoff Oddie's book, Imagined Hinduism (Sage 2006)
is good.
Sharada Sugirtharajah has a chapter on Ward in the similarly titled
Imagining Hinduism (Routledge 2003) which was also published as an
article (Sugirtharajah, Sharada. “Virtuous Christians, Vicious Hindus: A
Postcolonial Look at William Ward and his Hinduism.” Studies in World
Christianity 5, no. 2 (1999): 196–212). Sugirtharajah uses only Ward's
published sources - Oddie by contrast has used Ward's diaries which, he
says, shows the extent to which he relied on the pundits the mission
employed (thirty in 1819). He also suggests that, for all its size (1400
pages), Ward's book uses only a fraction of the material on Hinduism in
his diaries, so there's a whole project waiting there for someone.

My article (not book!) on the historiography of Jesuits is due to appear
any day (as an open access article) on Jesuit Historiography online
https://referenceworks.brillonline.com/browse/jesuit-historiography-online
I'll send you a proof copy separately (I think Indology strips
attachments).

Another article of mine is due to appear in the last issue of the JAOS
for this year. I mention this because it includes a brief discussion of
a very interesting 1719 Jesuit letter which offers what I think must be
the most detailed account of a Vedic sacrifice by a European author to
that point. (The article is a study of European responses to the Vedas,
for which I asked for help on this list a couple of years ago - so it
may be of interest to some others on the list too). There's an
uncorrected proof on my academia page
(https://otago.academia.edu/WillSweetman)

The best work on early European account of the Jains is by Leslie Orr.
One article has appeared (“Orientalists, Missionaries, and Jains: the
South Indian Story.” In The Madras School of Orientalism: Producing
Knowledge in Colonial South India, edited by Thomas R. Trautmann,
265–287. New Delhi: Oxford University Press, 2009) another ("European
Imaginings of Jainism in Colonial Madras: Tales of the Coromandel
Coast") is forthcoming (I think).

A conference paper by Robert Del Bontà, “From Herodotus Onwards:
Descriptions of Unidentified Jainas” has been announced as appearing in
a volume entitled Jaina Law and Society edited by Peter Flügel, but this
volume seems to be indefinitely delayed (maybe Peter can comment?)

Best wishes

Will