[INDOLOGY] query on historical linguistics

Matthew Kapstein mkapstei at uchicago.edu
Sat Oct 19 15:38:04 UTC 2019

Thanks to all who responded to my query. I received four recommendations of Vit Bubenik's two books:

1996. The Structure and Development of Middle Indo-Aryan Dialects. Delhi: Motilal Banarsidass.

1998. A Historical Syntax of Late Middle Indo-Aryan (Apabhraṃśa). Amsterdam and Philadelphia: John Benjamins.

Additionally, one correspondent mentioned the 1965 English edition of Jules Bloch, Indo-Aryan from the Vedas to Modern Times. I note that this version, which was translated by Alfred Master, who was in correspondence with Bloch until the latter's death in 1953, is a substantial revision of the original 1934 French edition and takes account of Bloch's own corrections and notes.

with best regards,
Matthew

Matthew Kapstein
Directeur d'études,
Ecole Pratique des Hautes Etudes

Numata Visiting Professor of Buddhist Studies,
The University of Chicago