[INDOLOGY] query on Roşu and garuḍa-khamba

patrick mccartney psdmccartney at gmail.com
Thu Oct 17 09:32:40 UTC 2019

Dear Friends,

I seek help in tracking down more information.

Roşu (1981, p. 442) explains that an alternative name for mallkhamb is
*garuḍa-khamba*, and that the movement of the exercises reproduce a
mythical story which represents the winding up of the snake on the pole:
“Au Karnāṭaka, le mât du jeu moderne, originaire du Mahārāṣṭra, est appelé
*mallakhamba* (<*mallastambha*) ou *garuḍa-khamba*, parce que les exercises
sont censés reproduire la lutte de Garuḍa et du serpent. En effet,
l'athlète s'accroche au *stambha* autour duquel il s'enroule à l'instar
d'un reptile. Les acrobates Dombar, d'origine nomade, s'en servent eux
aussi pour leurs démonstrations publiques.”

I cannot find any other mention of garuḍa-khamba being synonymous with
mallakhamba. Might someone be able to help? I would really appreciate it.

Thank you.

All the best,

パトリック マッカートニー
Patrick McCartney, PhD
JSPS Fellow - Graduate School of Global Environmental Studies, Kyoto
University, Japan
Research Associate - Nanzan University Anthropological Institute, Nagoya,
Japan
Research Affiliate - Organization for Identity and Cultural Development
(OICD), Kyoto
Visiting Fellow - South and South-east Asian Studies Department, Australian
National University
Member - South Asia Research Institute (SARI), Australian National
University

Skype / Zoom - psdmccartney
Phone + Whatsapp + Line:  +81-80-9811-3235
Twitter - @psdmccartney @yogascapesinjap
 Yogascapes in Japan <http://yogascapes.weebly.com/> Academia
<https://patrickmccartney.academia.edu/> Linkedin
<https://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=241756978&trk=nav_responsive_tab_profile>