[INDOLOGY] A book to learn Greek.

Antonia Ruppel rhododaktylos at gmail.com
Sat Oct 12 14:34:03 UTC 2019

Dear Alakendu,

My classroom favourites for teaching Greek have long been Athenaze (Oxford
UP) and Learn to Read Greek (Yale UP). They both come in several volumes
and thus are not the cheapest; but their length is due to the number of
resources they make available. (Plenty of good, author-written readings in
Athenaze, large amounts of annotated original Greek readings in LTRG.

However, if you want to use the book just for yourself (rather than to
teach a group of students with varying strengths and interests), the
one-volume Introduction to Attic Greek by Mastronarde may be the way to go,
especially for someone who already knows Sanskrit and thus is already
familiar with most of the grammatical categories and concepts we find in
Greek. It also comes with its own supplementary website:
http://atticgreek.org.

There are various others - if none of the above sound good, let me know
what you are looking for and I'll be happy to talk more about what else is
out there.

All the best,
    Antonia

On Sat, 12 Oct 2019 at 14:43, alakendu das via INDOLOGY <
indology at list.indology.info> wrote:

> Respected scholars,
> Can anyone suggest a beginner's book  on Greek language.
> Alakendu Das.
>

> Sent from RediffmailNG on Android

Dr Antonia Ruppel
cambridge-sanskrit.org