[INDOLOGY] Date of Candranandana

James Hartzell james.hartzell at gmail.com
Mon Oct 7 18:51:34 UTC 2019

Do we have any idea of when Candranandana himself may have lived?

On Sun, Oct 6, 2019 at 6:57 PM Matthew Kapstein <mkapstei at uchicago.edu>
wrote:

> Just to follow up on Andrey's comments:
> In the concluding verses in the Rin chen bzang po translation
> Candranandana states that he was born in Kashmir (kha che'i yul du skyes pa
> yin). The translator does not tell us where he studied or translated the
> text, but because Rin chen bzang po did work extensively in Kashmir, we may
> assume he did so there.
>
> Matthew
>
> Matthew Kapstein
> Directeur d'études,
> Ecole Pratique des Hautes Etudes
>
> Numata Visiting Professor of Buddhist Studies,
> The University of Chicago

James Hartzell, PhD
Basque Center on Cognition, Brain and Language (BCBL), Donostia, Spain
Center for Mind/Brain Sciences (CIMeC), The University of Trento, Italy
Center for Buddhist Studies, Columbia University, USA