[INDOLOGY] question about a Jaina practice

John Huntington john.darumadera at gmail.com
Thu Oct 3 16:46:44 UTC 2019

The yopgapaṭa (ayogapaṭṭa) occurs in two or three relief scened at Sāñchī
Stūpa one.  The example included is in  the top panel of the south face of
the north pillar of the west toraṇa. While it is impossible to identify the
specific religious practice of the yogin in the relief, he could be a Jain
as we know that the were active and producing their own are as early as the
first century BCE (at Mathura) and possibly earlier, i.e. the Lohanipur
torso from the mauryan period.

John C. Huntington